Restaurant & Bar Coverage

Restaurant & Bar Coverage

Southern Insurance Underwriters (SIU) has been seeing an increase in Restaurant and Bar Coverage as the warmer seasons arrive.  We’d like to share some insights on what we have been seeing in the Restaurant and Bar markets.

Restaurants and bars have some very similar risks.  Bars tend to have more liquor sales than food, therefore the risk for adverse actions is higher. Fights, accidents, slips etc.  On the other had, restaurants are mostly concerned about foodborne illness or contamination , as they tend to sell more food than alcohol.

These are only a few of the factors that underwriters are looking for when it comes to placing these risks. I will visit the most common types of coverage needed below.

 Commonly Considered Restaurant and Bar Coverages:

  • Property Insurance is purchased by the restaurant or bar to cover the building itself.
  • General Liability coverage protects the establishment from injuries sustained or incurred by the patrons.
  • Liquor Liability is a coverage that speaks for itself. This coverage is purchased to  protect from liability claims due to injuries.
  • If the business has delivery vehicles or vehicles used for the business itself, the potential for Auto Liability coverage is something to consider.
  • Restaurant and Bar owners purchase Workers Compensation Insurance in the event that an employee is injured.

In the event that you are speaking with a potential customer, the important thing to remember is that you don’t want them to have any gaps in coverage.  Be sure to go through the business details with a fine tuned comb and do the best you can to make sure your client is properly insured. *Please keep in mind that not all states have the same requirements.

You can visit to get in touch with your local underwriting team to find some great markets for your restaurant and bar clients.